söndag 11 september 2011

A taste of India

I just love Indian food, the aroma of spices is what makes it I think. I found this recipe in the South Beach cook book, however I have done a few changes as I did not find it spicy enough. What is so great about finding a recipe is that it gives you an idea to work from, and adjusting it to your liking makes it your own.


Indian Chicken and red lentil soup was made. We had my mom for dinner and she absolutely loved it! This recipe is a figure friendly one if you choose the right ingredience. 

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chopped carrots
2 chopped celery sticks
1/2 big onion half slices
2-4 garlic cloves minced(this is a preference of how much garlic you like)
1 teaspoon curry(I do not recommend adding more as this will overpower soup)
1/4 teaspoon dry ginger(this can be adjusted)
1/4 teaspoon dry cumin
1 teaspoon dry chili flakes(this can be adjusted for how spicy you want it, but this amount was pleasant)
1 1/2 dl red lentils
2 big chicken filets
6dl chicken stock(I used 6dl water with 1 1/2 chicken buljong)
1 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
4 dl water
1 dl coconut milk(light for less fat, this is what I used and was just as good)


Ok so here is how you prepare this amazing soup!

Take a large pot and fry carrots, celery, onion, garlic and all the spices with the oil in the pot. Stir occasionally for 15 min leaving the lid on in between.



Pour over vegetables the red lentils, place the chicken on top(here I have 3 breasts but I found it to be a bit much, so 2 large once is a enough). Pour the chicken stock over and bring up to a boil. As the water boils use part of the water and blend the tomato paste in, pour into pot along with rest of the water. Bring up to a boil, then let simmer on low heat until chicken is cooked through(about 30min). 

(here I turned the stove off and put my little one to bed, so this is a option for those with young ones to let the food rest and then proceed when they fall asleep)

Take half of the soup and put it in a blender/mixer and pour back into the pot. Take the chicken breasts out and cut or rip into strips and pour back into pot.

Pour the coconut milk in, blend, and let it heat up again.




And there you have it. Wonderful soup that is satisfying and figure friendly!



On a day like yesterday, saturday, where I allow myself that little extra you can serve the soup with a nice nan bread and a glass of wine, we decided on a sweet Cyprus rose which complimented well :)

This soup makes for 6 servings, good for a warm lunch the day after or freeze for one of those busy days :)
If you do decide to make this soup, let me know how it goes and if you like, change it up!

Bon appetit!

7 kommentarer:

  1. looking forward to making this... ,Bb.

    SvaraRadera
  2. :) I know you like this one BB

    SvaraRadera
  3. :)went by the recipe exactly but added only 1 dl of water instead of 4 dl...very tasty Bb.

    SvaraRadera
  4. This is one of my favorite meals Sigdis min, and you pictures look like they are from a cook book, good jobb!

    SvaraRadera
  5. Ooops previous message from Sigdis' Mom :)

    SvaraRadera
  6. Thanks mom, this is definitely one of my favorite recipes from The South Beach Diet cookbook :D

    SvaraRadera