fredag 9 september 2011

Icelandic Lullaby

I started on a painting this summer, it is meant to be hung in my daughters room, better yet her Fairy room :) The painting it self wasn't a complicated one, but I wanted a text as well. I wanted something that was pretty but yet something with a meaning. Took me a long time to decide on what I wanted. Ended with a wonderful Icelandic Lullaby that I remember hearing when I was little. 

If you are interested in hearing what the song can sound like depending on the singer and instruments you can listen here    

Ragnheiður Gröndal is one of my absolute favorite singers and sings this lullaby just beautifully! 

Sofðu unga ástin mín.
Úti regnið grætur.
Mamma geymir gullin þín,
gamla leggi og völuskrín.
Við skulum ekki vaka um dimmar nætur.

Það er margt sem myrkrið veit
minn er hugur þungur.
Oft ég svarta sandinn leit,
svíða grænan engireit.
Í jöklinum hljóða dauðadjúpar sprungur.

Sofðu lengi, sofðu rótt,
seint mun best að vakna.
Mæðan kenna mun þér fljótt,
meðan hallar degi skjótt
að mennirnir elska, missa, gráta og sakna


Translation of the first verse as well as it goes to translate.


Sleep my darling baby.

Sleep My Darling Baby, 
Rain is gently falling
Mother will thy treasures keep
Hidden where the shadows creep
So hush thee my baby, night for rest is calling

So here is the artwork with this beautiful Icelandic Lullaby that I hope one day she will treasure :)







Cannot wait to hang this up in her new room tomorrow. I have plans to show you her room in the near future, just have to sew some curtains :)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Tusen takk for koselig kommentar! Har nok ikke plass til å henge opp alle fem maskinene, men blir litt sånn "dra ut av tørketrommelen og stappe den full igjen" og så blir det liggende...

    Koselig lerret du har laget da! Håper du legger ut bilde når det er hengt opp også.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hehe ser den ja, bare om man hadde tørketrommel!

    Takk for det, ja bildene ordner jeg faktisk nå så det kommer :)

    SvaraRadera