lördag 7 juli 2012

DIY: Decoupage letters for child´s bedroom

Decoupage is not something I do very often, but it can actually be fun when you decide on a project perfect for decoupage.

I have looked everywhere for exciting letters to stick on my daughters bedroom door, however all I find are the same wooden letters in every store. So I bought a few things at my local craft store and decorated letters myself.

These paper letters I purchased ready made, making this project a lot easier, however you could always try and make these yourself if you are are into paper art. Napkins are the easiest when decoupaging but you could always use magazine or newspaper clippings, even your own photos.



This is what you need: 

paper letters (this can also work with wooden letters if desired)
Napkins (those with print and design give more color and depth)
Decoupage glue (matt, gloss, glitter)
a small paint brush
a small roll brush
and a sponge brush
small scissors 



The choice of glue is up to you, however I find that using matt glue is best before applying the design, and then use gloss or glitter for a top finnish coat
I only used the matt and silver glitter glue for this project. 
1. Have a clean work surface, either a mat or some news paper
2. Cut out any design from a napkin/newspaper/magazine/photos etc 
3. Cover letter on short sides with matt glue and apply the clippings desired making sure that you do not get any air bobbles. 
4. Cut off access paper and apply glue over design with a roll or sponge, use the small brush with some glue to brush down the corners.
5. Cover letter on front/back with glue and repeat as in step 3 and 4.
6. When every side is covered with design and has dried you can apply a top coat.
Glitter or a basic gloss 



 My daughters first name initials :)
The letters are a bit darker, but the flash of the camera picked up all the glitter :)
I have only used one design from one type of napkin, had I had a bigger surface I could have used pictures or something. The sky is the limit for this art!




I hope you enjoyed this little mini tutorial. Perhaps give me a peek of your decoupage design?!!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar