måndag 14 november 2011

Homemade fish cakes with coleslaw

Making our weekly meal plan I decided that I wanted to use the fish we have in the freezer. I purchase the most wonderful Icelandic fish from an icelander here in Sweden and let me tell you, you cannot find better fish! 

If you are interested, he drives through Sweden, Denmark, and now is going to start driving through Norway! Islandsfisk 
He also sells a variety of icelandic lamb and of course a little icelandic candy  :)

I need to empty the freezer soon since Islandsfisk will be on it's way in december, so what better way to use the fish then to make fish cakes. I remember having something quite similar when I was a kid but have never made an attempt to do these on my own, silly really because it is so simple. I made the recipe large and have lots of left overs that I will freeze for those busy days, definitely a great one to get some veggies in kids diets :)

The recipe makes about 6 servings.

Fish Cakes: 
500g haddock (hyse, kolja), ground
4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
150 ml low fat buttermilk(kefir)
2 carrots, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (can use dry)

Cole slaw:
half a head white cabbage (sliced)
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1/2 red chili minced(optional)
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dry thyme
pinch of salt

Cocktail sauce:
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (1 tablespoon sour cream as a substitute for one here is popular)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar reduced ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
a good dash lemon juice
(allround seasoning *optional*)


Place the fish in a food processor or a grinder, here I used my kitchen aid grinder.




Chop the onion, garlic, and carrots and mix in with the fish. Mix in the rest of the ingredients, then place mixture in the refrigerator for a little while

Fry in a pan with a little vegetable oil


 serve with cole slaw, potatoes and cocktail sauce


Bon Appetit!!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Åhh det så godt ut! Låner oppskriften til en prøvings neste uke.

    Hilsen Camilla.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Håper du likte oppskriften Camilla :)

    SvaraRadera